Tuesday, May 22, 2012

learning to sew









The only things that I have sewn are napkins and paper CD cases. Dressmaking has always fascinated me and learning to sew has been a goal of mine for a while. I've been teaching myself with vintage sewing books that I have collected from thrift shops. I bought a few sewing patterns from the 1950s and I am close to finishing my first project, a simple sleeveless blouse with darts and a side zipper. I've learned how to choose and cut a pattern, do tailor tacks, add bust and contour darts, sew seams, and finish a narrow hem. If you are interested in sewing you should give it a try. You can learn everything from books and practice.

3 comments:

  1. so darling and good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely vintage organization, I love that. I'm new sewing clothing and patterns scare the heck out of me! Perhaps you could do a tutorial as you learn? I'm greatly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mandy. I will try to do some tutorials in the future. If you don't have someone to teach you, the best thing to do is buy a big sewing book, an easy pattern, and some cheap fabric. Then just go for it. If you get hung up on something there are lots of videos on Youtube that you can reference too.

    ReplyDelete